ukgopedforum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Race Event at SouthWest Karting (Cheddar)

+9
Jonno
TOBY
piedog
nizz
sxpmike
phil.s
weblefeck
shawzy89
hicksi
13 posters

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Race Event at SouthWest Karting (Cheddar) - Page 6 Empty Re: Race Event at SouthWest Karting (Cheddar)

Post  shawzy89 Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:45 am

sxpmike wrote:Any modification would mean you need a retune. Look on GPN, they will have a detailed carb tuning guide. I can look over the engine on the night but no guarantees as to finding a solution. Try stripping down basic parts and rebuilding after an inspection of consumables (eg gaskets)

Ok Iv stripped and rebuilt it already everything is fine it's because Iv changed the
Pipe but even if I change it back the screws have been messed with so it still needs tuning

I want it done before I go really as be a waste of time if it don't work when I'm there
I no for sure it's todo with those screws Crying or Very sad

shawzy89

Back to top Go down

Race Event at SouthWest Karting (Cheddar) - Page 6 Empty Re: Race Event at SouthWest Karting (Cheddar)

Post  hicksi Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:06 am

Mike is spot on, adding a pipe or any mod really will knock out the air/fuel mixture settings (tuning).

Try to work out what your suffering from first;

If the engine is revving way above normal then you'll need to be turning the adjustment screws in (clockwise)

If the engine is stubborn to start, or will run, but go anywhere near the throttle and it bogs out you'll need to turn those screws out (anti-clockwise).

Start by turning all the screws in fully (not tight as fook) just till there in. And that includes the idle screw too.

Turn the Low and High out to 1 + 1/4 turns out.

Start up the engine and set a relatively high idle using the Low screw. Once this is set, Your looking to turn out the High screw until you get your highest RPMs 'pipping' the throttle.

Once this is done, set the true low idle using the idle adjustment screw!
hicksi
hicksi

Back to top Go down

Post  hicksi Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:17 am

Obviously you want to make sure the engine runs reliably before you come down.

But ultimately you want to do the fine tuning at the track as the engines react differently under load conditions...

Let us know how you get on!
hicksi
hicksi

Back to top Go down

Post  shawzy89 Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:54 am

hicksi wrote:Obviously you want to make sure the engine runs reliably before you come down.

But ultimately you want to do the fine tuning at the track as the engines react differently under load conditions...

Let us know how you get on!

Ah cool I will try my best and let you no how I get on Wink

Just had it running but I can't get it perfect so if I get it rough could someone on the day Finnish the fine tune ? I may get it right but pull cord just snapped haha £30 pullstart I just bought scratch

shawzy89

Back to top Go down

Post  hicksi Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:47 am

Top man!

Yeah keep us posted buddy. Once you know what your doing its a doddle!

If your still not sure ill be happy to lend you and hand on the night!

Ah damn, what broke? The engaging cog or the pull cord?
hicksi
hicksi

Back to top Go down

Post  shawzy89 Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:09 am

hicksi wrote:Top man!

Yeah keep us posted buddy. Once you know what your doing its a doddle!

If your still not sure ill be happy to lend you and hand on the night!

Ah damn, what broke? The engaging cog or the pull cord?

Wicked mate that's great no only the cord ill get some tomorrow's an have another go Wink

shawzy89

Back to top Go down

Post  sxpmike Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:59 am

Is any one staying overnight?

Where are people coming from?
sxpmike
sxpmike
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sxpmike Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:09 pm

Hotel booked!
sxpmike
sxpmike
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hicksi Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:55 pm

Top Work Mike!! That is commitment afro

Me, Simon and our +1 are coming from the Weston direction!

Good work Shawzy, might what to get some of that in bulk for yourself and the rest of us lol!

hicksi
hicksi

Back to top Go down

Post  SW Karting Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:43 am

sxpmike wrote:Hotel booked!

Top man!!!
SW Karting
SW Karting

http://www.southwestkarting.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonno Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:01 am

hicksi wrote:Top Work Mike!! That is commitment afro

Good work Shawzy, might what to get some of that in bulk for yourself and the rest of us lol!

I've got reels of pull cord here, I'll make sure I bring some on the night in case any of us are unlucky enough to have it snap during the night.
Jonno
Jonno

Back to top Go down

Post  shawzy89 Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:29 am

Jonno wrote:
hicksi wrote:Top Work Mike!! That is commitment afro

I've got reels of pull cord here, I'll make sure I bring some on the night in case any of us are unlucky enough to have it snap during the night.

Good good I might bring the cordless to seems a smart Ideal with the 13mm socket on haha

Start u bugger start brrrrrrrrrrrr brrrrrrrrrr brrrrrr lol

Just received the 4 bolt high revving fg marder 23cc engine hopefully it's a good 1 Wink
Now to build the other sport I need throttle cable and not to sure on carb... I might have one

And are fellow hicksi has sorted me a spindle Wink

shawzy89

Back to top Go down

Post  hicksi Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:07 pm

Jonno wrote: I've got reels of pull cord here, I'll make sure I bring some on the night in case any of us are unlucky enough to have it snap during the night.

Haha, one step ahead of me Jonno.

Never had much of a problem with RC pull cords, its the LH's that were a bast***

Great idea Shawzy, we'll end up with an F1 pit lane before we know it lol!

Nice work on the 4 bolt engine, if I had the cash I'd swap out all my engines for 4 bolt types. Out of the past 5 times me and Simon have been down to SW Karting, I'd say the cylinder on my Super GoQuad has rattled loose twice! If you catch it early you can save the Gasket, but try and pull start that loose head and you'll F**k it...

On that note, here is the link for the cheapest 2-Bolt Gasket kit I can find, £4.40 inc. postage. (eBay)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111000745760?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Also, just a note on that spindle, its a Big-Foot spindle so its longer than Sport spindles, what ped are you going to use it on bud?
hicksi
hicksi

Back to top Go down

Post  hicksi Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:10 pm

I've ordered 2 of those Gasket kits, paid last night at like 1am and dispatched this morning!

Let you guys know how they turn out, Im sure ill be ordering some more once I start rebuilding all the engines...
hicksi
hicksi

Back to top Go down

Race Event at SouthWest Karting (Cheddar) - Page 6 Empty Spindle

Post  shawzy89 Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:32 am

Yea I need short spindle will the longer not work as I think it will just miss the tank?

shawzy89

Back to top Go down

Post  hicksi Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:06 pm

Yeah thought the Sports run a shorter spindle.

I personally dont know if the Biggy spindle will be too long, hopefully someone on here will know or you can go to GopedNation and ask, you'll deffo get an answer there.

One of my Quads is running another black magic spindle although its a 3rd bearing support type which means its allot shorter, Ill find out the size and see if I want to swap them over.
hicksi
hicksi

Back to top Go down

Post  shawzy89 Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:49 pm

hicksi wrote:Yeah thought the Sports run a shorter spindle.

I personally dont know if the Biggy spindle will be too long, hopefully someone on here will know or you can go to GopedNation and ask, you'll deffo get an answer there.

One of my Quads is running another black magic spindle although its a 3rd bearing support type which means its allot shorter, Ill find out the size and see if I want to swap them over.

Ok mate cool Wink

shawzy89

Back to top Go down

Post  hicksi Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:31 am

Have you checked with GPN about the spindle clearance bud?

I measured the length of the spindle and its about 75mm long if that helps?
hicksi
hicksi

Back to top Go down

Post  hicksi Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:31 am

Also, how did you get on with Carb Tuning?
hicksi
hicksi

Back to top Go down

Post  shawzy89 Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:07 am

hicksi wrote:Also, how did you get on with Carb Tuning?

No luck with carb Sad

And the spindle can be used but advised to use the 3rd bearing support.

shawzy89

Back to top Go down

Post  hicksi Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:15 am

Hmm, strange!

I have had some carbs be a nightmare, although usually if you set them to the 1 and 1/4 turns out you always have a decent starting point.

Unless it really is a case of fine tuning the carb it might be knacked?

Last thing I would try would be to try the High and Low needle at 1 + 1/4 turns out again, also try swapping your fuel lines, one of the lines will have a built in filter (in the tank?) by swapping them you might free up the flow?

If you have an air gun laying around blasting the carb with that might clear somthing thats causing the issue?
hicksi
hicksi

Back to top Go down

Post  hicksi Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:27 am

Found this video by PMW.

IMO I've had better results (esp. with RC/CY engines) with turning both screws out to 1 + 1/4, and turning the idle screw all the way in, then once you have got the right set up turning the idle screw out to set the 'true' low idle...
hicksi
hicksi

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonno Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:34 pm

If you cant tune the carb check for air leaks. Make sure the gaskets are intact and that the cylinder is down tight. If the engine's sucking air it'll never tune properly and will run erratically.

Also a new pipe can affect the mixture so much that the carb is towards the end of its operating window. I had to fit a new carb to the 60 because it wouldnt tune with the smaller carb. If your confident in stripping the carb down check thay the needle valve is closing fully. If its not sealing fuel keeps flowing past and it wont tick over or pick up as it should.
Jonno
Jonno

Back to top Go down

Post  hicksi Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:12 am

Top advice Jonno, I couldn't agree more with checking those gaskets!

You'd be surprised how a little 'nic can affect those motors...

RIGHT!

SO WERE GETTING CLOSE NOW GENTS, RACE NIGHT IS IN 2 WEEKS!

I was thinking it would be good to get a summary going of people that are coming, what 'Peds they're bringing with them and what mods have been added/done etc...
hicksi
hicksi

Back to top Go down

Post  hicksi Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:19 am

Ill start things off...

Hicksi

3 x Riders (inc. myself)

- Simon
- Cam

4 x 'Peds

- BigFoot
G260RC
WT-603 Carb
Vel. Stack + Uni Filter
Series 1 Accel Pipe
Black Magic Spindle

- Original Quad (Alloys)
G260RC
WT-603 Carb
Vel. Stack + Uni Filter
ADA Stalker Exhaust
Black Magic Spindle

- Original Quad (Alloys)
G260RC + 29cc Big-Bore
WT-603 Carb
Vel. Stack + Uni Filter
Boost sys. Boost Bottle
Sikk Torque Pipe
ADA Billet Spindle

- Super GoQuad 25 (Green)
G260RC + 29cc Big Bore
+2mm Stroker Crank
WT-668 Carb
Vel. Stack + Uni Filter
Malossi Boost Bottle
Sikk Torque Pipe

CANNOT WAIT to get out on these with the rest of you afro
hicksi
hicksi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next